I’ve posted before about why we don’t use scented candles and what we use instead. One of my favorite alternatives is to use an essential oil diffuser, and many people asked what form of diffuser we use and recommend.
I’m not an herbalist or aromatherapy expert, yet we have attempted many forms of diffusers and we wanted to share a pros and cons of a ones we’ve tried.
From my experience, not all diffusers are combined equal and some work many improved than others. we wish that I’d examination a examination like this before determining that to squeeze and we wish my knowledge will be useful to you.
Benefits of Diffusing Essential Oils
So what does diffusing essential oils meant exactly, and given would we do it? Diffusers use several methods to sunder essential oil containing H2O droplets by a atmosphere in a excellent continual mist.
Far from being usually a healthy surrogate for atmosphere freshener and zero more, any form of essential oil contains absolute chemical properties (the “essence”) from a primogenitor plant. These chemicals connect to a olfactory receptors (how we smell) and have an tangible outcome on a limbic system. These nerves in a smarts control a hunger, emotions, anger, sleep, and more, so it creates clarity diffusing oils can have a genuine effect.
There are a series of studies (plus a whole lot of anecdotal evidence) that diffusing essential oils can furnish a following benefits, depending on a form of oil:
- reduces stress
- improves mental clarity
- uplifts a mood
- calms and promotes a opiate outcome (useful before sleep)
- purifies a air
In fact, essential oils are so many some-more than atmosphere fresheners that we need to be cautious how we use them around a homes and a children.
Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
There are a few opposite forms of essential oil diffusers that is one reason given squeezing down to a right one can feel a tiny overwhelming. The ones I’m wakeful of include:
- Nebulizer Diffusers
- Ultrasonic/Humidifying Diffusers
- Heat Diffusers
- Evaporative Diffusers
In further to researching them I’ve attempted any form of diffuser and have schooled what we like and what we don’t about each.
1. Heat Diffuser
A feverishness diffuser, like it sounds, uses feverishness to spin H2O with a few drops of essential oil into a gas that disperses into a air. These can be electric or use a feverishness of a candle/flame.
I have not found a feverishness diffuser that worked scarcely as good as even a misfortune nebulizer or ultrasonic diffusers I’ve tried, so we can’t make any recommendations on these forms of diffusers. The one disproportion is a elementary feverishness diffuser we use in a car since incomparable diffusers are not unsentimental while driving, and it works morally good in a tiny space like a automobile (and is many improved than automobile atmosphere fresheners).
Since feverishness affects a profitable properties of a essential oils, we really don’t suggest this routine for diffusing oils in general.
2. Evaporative Diffusers
These diffusers use a fan to boost atmosphere upsurge opposite an essential oil dripping pad or lining. As a glass evaporates, a smell (and a properties) pierce into a air.
Another form of evaporative diffuser is diffuser match jewelry. The speculation is that a essential oil will naturally evaporate and interfuse a atmosphere and skin.
I don’t find this form of diffuser scarcely as effective as a remaining two.
3. Nebulizing Diffusers
Nebulizing diffusers are mostly deliberate a many absolute form of diffusers, and with good reason. They do not need H2O or feverishness to get a essential oil in to a atmosphere and they work by regulating an atomizer to emanate fine, airborne particles of essential oils and floating them in to a air.
If we can’t tell, nebulizing diffusers are my favorite form of diffuser. If anyone gets ill they can keep a near-continuous tide of essential oils in a atmosphere and can fill a room of many block feet.
Here’s my suspicion routine and knowledge with this form of diffuser:
- Attaches directly to a bottle of essential oil and can be incited on with a flip of a switch
- No H2O or set-up required
- Strong thoroughness of essential oils expelled into a air
- Timers control run time and rest time let we control how prolonged it runs and yield an choice other than continual use
- No light so they can be used during night, since we equivocate night lights
- Noise spin is louder than ultrasonic diffusers
- Uses oils some-more fast than ultrasonic or other diffusers given they insert directly to a diffuser
- More costly than many ultrasonic diffusers (though not by much)
We use: This Advanced Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser from Amazon. I’ve now saved adult and systematic a integrate of these given they work so well. Even usually diffusing for 15 mins will leave a durability essential oil smell for hours.
4. Ultrasonic Diffusers
Ultrasonic diffusers work in a identical approach to nebulizing diffusers by formulating a excellent mist. The disproportion is that ultrasonic diffusers use H2O and essential oils to emanate an ultrasonic cool obscurity of water/oils that releases in to a air. They double as a humidifier, so they are profitable in winter, yet they don’t put out as clever of a thoroughness of essential oils given they also use water.
Note: It is not endorsed to use citrus essential oils with this form of diffuser as they can means a tools to erode.
- Less costly than nebulizing diffusers
- Doubles as a humidifier (beneficial in cold months)
- Many options to select from
- Doesn’t use heat
- Water tank has a vast capacity
- Can’t use citrus essential oils
- Need H2O to operate
- Must be spotless occasionally
- Some have lights that can’t be incited off
- Not as effective as nebulizing diffusers
What we use: Several opposite forms of ultrasonic diffusers and I’ve found that some work improved than others. These were a favorites:
- The Noor Litemist Aromatherapy Diffuser – This elementary cone-shape pattern diffuses for several hours and has an choice to spin a light on or off for night time use. (Just greatfully don’t use any LED color-changing lights during night… here’s why!)
- The Allay Litemist Diffuser – Very identical and somewhat cheaper than a Noor Litemist, yet it doesn’t seem to have a approach to spin off a light that creates it obsolete during night (for us).
- The Whisper (not graphic given it is on lend to a friend) – Can disband in adult to a 1,000 block feet area and is totally silent. It is some-more costly than a other ultrasonic diffusers we’ve attempted (perhaps interjection to a pleasing wood-grain look) yet we don’t consider that a disproportion in diffusing is indispensably value a cost.
- Lagute Diffuser – we systematic this one given it looks nicer than a others yet would not sequence it again. It was some-more costly than a Noor or Allay and does not work as well. It is also formidable to open to supplement H2O and oils.
Other Ways to Freshen Indoor Air
Essential oils are a good approach to freshen indoor atmosphere with healthy scents yet they are really not a usually way! We keep a indoor atmosphere purify naturally with:
- Indoor plants to filter a air – A NASA investigate found that plants were effective during filtering out VOCs and other indoor atmosphere toxins.
- Salt Lamps, Beeswax Candles, and Charcoal Bags – Three elementary ways to purify indoor atmosphere though wanting a diffuser or essential oils. They don’t offer a healthy smell like oils do, yet can mislay damaging compounds from a air.
- Air filters. With a series of toxins in indoor air, atmosphere filters are a required and profitable step. we explain given we adore ours (we have several) here.
Bottom Line: Choosing an Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
Essential oils might seem like mix-and-match perfumes, yet in existence they are absolute essences from plants with medicinal effects. we consider regulating a diffuser is a good step, yet titillate everybody to do their homework. If we have a family, make certain to disband usually kid-safe essential oil blends and take breaks by shopping a indication with tranquil obscurity settings.
Have we ever used a diffuser? What did we like or not like about it? Share below!