Teen kickboxer Scott Marsden’s genocide ‘tragic fluke’


Scott Marsden

Image caption

Scott Marsden went to Forge Valley School and a conduct clergyman pronounced he was “very popular” and had a “bright sporting future”

A 14-year-old kickboxer died when a blow to his chest caused cardiac detain in a singular medical “fluke”, an inquisition has heard.

Scott Marsden, from Sheffield, collapsed during a kickboxing hitch in Leeds in Mar 2017.

Wakefield Coroner’s Court listened he died from a singular intrusion of a heart’s stroke caused by a approach blow during a specific impulse in a heart cycle.

The pathologist pronounced Scott had no pre-existing heart defects.

Dr Kerry Turner, consultant paediatric pathologist, told a coroner a condition that killed Scott was “commotio cordis” and it was “very rare” that 3 elements – a blow’s impact, a plcae over a heart, and a timing in a cycle – all aligned.

Dr Turner said: “It is a comfortless portion that all 3 things line adult in a scold way.

“For all these things to line adult in a right approach is really rare.”

Image copyright

Image caption

Scott’s mom told a inquisition her son had a “heart of gold” and would do “anything for anyone”

Scott started kickboxing aged 4 or five, and competed from eight.

He lerned during Marsden’s All Styles Kickboxing bar in Hillsborough, run by his family.

The eventuality was a fourth during Leeds Martial Arts College, organized by Paul Lynch underneath World Kickboxing Association (WKA) rules.

Scott’s competition was of identical distance and age.

Image copyright

Image caption

The eventuality was a fourth during Leeds Martial Arts College

The inquisition listened Mr Lynch, MC-ing a event, hired a private medical team. A alloy he used for pre-fight checks during prior events was also there, nonetheless usually in a amicable ability as she was heavily pregnant.

Mr Lynch pronounced Scott slumped on to a ropes and was held by a arbitrate following a spinning flog by his opponent.

More Yorkshire stories

The medics on-site gave him puncture diagnosis and paramedics were called, though Scott died a subsequent day during Leeds General Infirmary.

Jon Green, UK boss of WKA and judging on a night, questioned central ambulance use total that a organisation arrived in 21 minutes.

He told a inquisition a organisation seemed “in no rush whatsoever”.

The inquisition continues.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here